POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Overlaping objects with different ior values : Re: Overlaping objects with different ior values Server Time
6 Aug 2024 06:20:54 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Overlaping objects with different ior values
From: Micha Riser
Date: 21 Jul 2002 15:43:57
Message: <3d3b0efd@news.povray.org>
TinCanMan wrote:

> 1.2 -> 1.0  where the 1.0 is the ior (implied) of the space outside the
> box
> (as opposed to the applied ior 1.0).  The ray is considered leaving this
> surface, the suface has an ior of 1.2 going into empty space, ior 1.0,
> therefore it would act as though the interior of the object had an ior of
> 1.2 at this surface.  At the front surface it acts as if the interior has
> an
> ior of 1.0, no refraction.

Okay, like this the refraction is always well defined. But it is rather
unlogical to refract from 1.2 -> 1.0 even though though the ray has never
been in space with ior 1.2.

> Having a CSG object with
> different iors on different parts will not produce any kind of realistic
> results and I would consider poor coding practice (unless it is intended).
> This is just a limitation of POV, not a bug though.

Of course, a feature not a bug ;). What has the effort of moving ior from
finish to interior been worth if it is still possible that a ray enters at
one ior and leaves at another? IMO at least a warning should be issued.

- Micha

--
http://objects.povworld.org - the POV-Ray Objects Collection